.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;} <$BlogRSDUrl$>

February 03, 2006

Signed off!!! The Supervised Solos 

The club requirements require three supervised solos to be signed off. They were literally the same with 4 landings to a full stop with the instructor followed by yours truly attempting the controlled crashes. During my second solo, just turning final I saw a helicopter just off my right wing. I thought that it was pretty close and the controller actually called out traffic for the helicopter. She then called the traffic for me when I was trying to establish myself on the final. A little shaken, I could have still made it but I called a go around. I do not fancy landing with a helicopter going parallel with me. I guess that was probably the most interesting incident of the second solo. I did asked whether I needed assistance as I called my go around.

The day of my scheduled third solo, the wind were cross with me and the runway, so instead of going out for my solo, we went to Plymouth and did some soft and short field takeoffs and landings. This time I was comfortable doing the
radio calls as well as flying the plane. Last time at an uncontrolled field, I stalled on the mike and kept flying the plane with the finger on the ptt. The poor radio had to be rescued by my instructor.

Finally the actual day of the third solo turned out to be very nice. On my second approach, the aircraft just dint want to come down. On short final, I was a little high and plane just hung up there, power to idle had no effect. I thought about going full but by that time was almost over the touch down point, so I called a go around. A nice touchdown a little later and I was signed off to pull the aircraft out of the hangar on my own.

Comments: Post a Comment


This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?